Is Philo available in Canada? Unfortunately, as of 2022, Philo Canada is not among the streaming options for Canada users, due to licensing rights and is restricted to the US only. However, you can watch Philo TV in Canada with the help of ExpressVPN.
Philo is a streaming service that offers seamless live TV streaming, and subscribers enjoy over 60 live channels. In addition, you don’t have to use a contract for a cable box, as you can subscribe directly from the online platform and watch popular shows like Yellowstone, Better Call Saul, and Yellowjackets.
Subscribers enjoy Philo services with a subscription cost of CA$34.11 (US $25) per month; great savings for your monthly cable bills, and you get off the list of being among the Canadian cord-cutters.
Unfortunately, Philo TV cannot be streamed in Canada due to streaming rights and copyright issues. Therefore, bypassing such restrictions requires a US IP address using one of the trustworthy VPN services in Canada.
In this guide, we will teach you how to watch Philo TV in Canada.
How to Watch Philo Canada using a VPN? [5 Easy Steps]
To watch Philo Canada, you need a VPN. Philo TV is only available in the US. Follow these steps to stream Philo TV in Canada:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN: ExpressVPN is well-known for quickly unblocking Philo TV Canada and other streaming services.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Connect to an American server (we recommend the New York server).
- Head to the Philo TV website and sign in.
- Enjoy your favorite content on Philo TV in Canada.
Note: Philo is a paid streaming service; therefore, to watch your favourite Philo shows, you have to sign up for Philo TV and pay for the subscription.
Why is Philo TV Not Working in Canada?
Philo TV is a well-known streaming platform in the US, but unfortunately, the services are unavailable in Canada due to the licensing laws and streaming rights. Unfortunately, this means that any Canadian who tries to access the service will receive an error message.
“Sorry, Philo is only available in the United States…for now.”
Thus, using a reliable VPN for Philo is the best way to bypass the geo-location blocks. A VPN will reroute your traffic through a server in the United States and trick Philo into thinking you are trying to watch it from the US.
A virtual private network masks your real IP address and gives you a new IP address of the server location you have connected to for streaming Philo TV Canada. This way, you can easily bypass geo-restrictions and watch all your favorite shows on the platform.
How do I Sign Up for Philo TV in Canada?
To watch Philo VOD content in Canada, you need to sign up for the service. Just follow these steps to sign up for Philo TV Canada:
- Use a VPN to connect to the US-New York server: We highly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Go to the Philo TV website and enter the details required.
- Click “Start Free Trial” to enjoy Philo trial period.
- Enter the code you receive in your email, and you can choose add-ons or click Next Step.
- Enter your payment details; debit or credit card, add the US zip code, and click on Subscribe. You will have a ready Philo TV account in Canada.
Note: You will have a 7-day free trial offered by Philo TV to test the service. After the free trial period ends, you will be subjected to Philo Pricing plan of CA$34.11 (US $25) per month. If you don’t want the charges, cancel Philo subscription before the trial period ends.
What are the Best VPNs to Watch Philo in Canada?
Not all VPNs can bypass geo-restriction blocks. Most of the VPNs are just trash; you get into more trouble using them. To help you avoid such scams, we have done some research and have come up with the three best VPNs that you can use to unblock Philo Canada as below:
ExpressVPN – Best VPN to Watch Philo TV in Canada
ExpressVPN is our top priority and the best VPN for Philo TV in Canada. It has the best speed of 88.11 Mbps download you require for buffer-free streaming without any connection disruptions. Furthermore, with over 3000+ servers available in more than 90 countries, you are sure to stream without any server disconnections.
There are over 25+ server locations in the USA. Some of the best ones include New Jersey, New York, Chicago, and other cities. We could easily watch Philo on ExpressVPN’s New York server during testing.
While it’s not the cheapest VPN in the market, it’s a pretty choice for your unblocking capabilities, with powers to unblock even the so-called streaming giants, such as watching Paramount Plus and Lifetime within Canada.
It has a no-log policy and encryption of 256-bit keys. Plus, there are other unique features, such as Smart DNS, referred to as MediaStreamer. With MediaStreamer, you can stream Philo TV on devices that don’t have native VPN support, like Apple TVs, Smart TVs, and gaming consoles.
Also, you can use up to 5 simultaneous devices on ExpressVPN. In addition, there are easy-to-use apps for various devices like Android, Windows, Fire TV Stick, Linux, and supported WI-FI routers, among others.
Similarly, with ExpressVPN, you don’t have to worry about overcrowding or issues with speed. Its servers are very fast, allowing you to watch your favourite shows and movies in 4K. During testing, it gave us a download speed of 88.11 Mbps and a 50.18 Mbps upload speed. The speed was great to stream Philo in Canada without any buffering.
Another best part is that you enjoy the best privacy and security. No one will know about your online activities. And if the connection goes down, there is less to worry about, as ExpressVPN apps come equipped with an automatic kill switch.
You can get ExpressVPN for just CA$ 8.98/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) - Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan along with a 30-days money-back guarantee.
Read more about ExpressVPN for Canada in our review.
Surfshark – Affordable VPN to Get Philo TV in Canada
Surfshark is one of the most affordable VPNs in the market. It is available for just CA$ 3.1/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) - 82% off VPN deal on 2 year plan with 2 months free. It offers over 3200 servers worldwide in 65 countries and 600+ servers available in the US. You can be assured of no server disconnections.
New York is one of our recommended USA servers of Surfshark for Philo TV, but you can choose any other which is nearest to your location or one that fits your needs. We had no trouble unblocking Philo on Surfshark’s New York server.
Despite the low pricing, the VPN is equipped with state-of-art security elements like AES-256 BIT GCM encryption, IP leak protection, Kill Switch, and several others. Unlike many other VPNs, you can easily unblock most of the restricted top streaming platforms, such as SBS on Demand, ABC Live network, HBO Max, and Discovery Plus in CA, with Surfshark.
The service can connect to multiple devices, such as Android, Windows, Smart TVs, iOS, and macOS. Again, you have no issues when it comes to the devices to connect. With Surfshark, you have unlimited simultaneous connections, which makes it a good choice as a family VPN.
Surfshark delivers fast connection speeds, which is excellent for streaming Philo Canada. Its servers are super-fast, as, during testing, we recorded a download speed of 85.49 Mbps and an upload speed of 44.42 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. In addition, the speed allows for minimal buffering while streaming.
We quickly accessed Big Ten Network, Disney+, the US broadcasting organization ABC, Peacock TV originals, and Pluto TV in Canada thanks to the exceptional unblocking features of Surfshark.
Get to know more about this VPN in our Surfshark review.
NordVPN – Largest VPN Servers for Philo TV in Canada
NordVPN is among the services that offer the most extensive collection of servers. With over 5500 servers available worldwide in 59 countries and over 1970 servers in the USA, it becomes next to impossible to have server disconnection issues. Also, users have simultaneous connections for up to 6 devices.
You can choose any closer server, depending on your needs. We tested NordVPN’s multiple US servers and had no trouble accessing Philo TV.
Again, it keeps no logs of your online activities. The service uses Open VPN protocols and military-grade 256-bit encryption to ensure top-notch security. With this, you easily unblock geo-restricted regions. NordVPN works well to unblock streaming apps such as Disney+ Hotstar, Channel 7, and 10play in Canada, among others.
All these features come at the cost of CA$ 4.43/mo (US$ 3.29/mo) - 2 years with 60% off + Threat Protection for free. There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee offered to give you a chance to try the service risk-free. The NordVPN apps are available for various devices like Android, Windows, Mac, iOS, Firestick, and other streaming platforms.
When it comes to speed, NordVPN surpasses most VPNs. You have no issues with having your IP address tracked by your Internet Service Provider or hackers.NordVPN is also suggested for streaming ABC Channel and 7Plus in Canada.
The VPN offers fast speeds, so you can enjoy high-quality streaming when using Philo TV in Canada. On a 100 Mbps connection, 86.48 Mbps download speed was recorded, together with an upload speed of 52.42 Mbps. The speed was excellent for streaming Philo content in Canada.
For details, feel free to read our detailed NordVPN review.
What Devices Can You Watch Philo On?
Not every device can be used to watch Philo Canada. Below are Philo-supported devices:
- Amazon FireStick and FireTV
- Apple TV
- Web browsers such as Chrome, Safari, Firefox
Note: Philo does not offer apps for platforms like Xbox, PlayStation, and some Smart TV brands like Samsung Smart TV.
How can I Watch Philo on my Android?
Follow these steps to watch Philo on Android devices:
- Choose a reliable VPN, subscribe and install it on your Android device. We recommend using ExpressVPN.
- Connect your VPN to a US-New York server.
- Log out of your Gmail ID, and create a new account with the US set as the region.
- Log in with your new ID and save the changes.
- Once you have saved the changes, go to Google Play Store and download the Philo TV app.
How can You Download Philo on an iPhone?
Follow these steps to download Philo on iPhone:
- Subscribe to a reliable VPN, Choose ExpressVPN and install it on your iPhone.
- Connect your VPN to the New York server.
- Go to Settings > Apple ID> Media and Purchases > View your account.
- Go to the country/ region category.
- Change the region to the US. (recommended server: New York)
- Go back to the App Store, and search for Philo TV.
- Download the Philo app.
- Open the app, log in and enjoy streaming Philo.
How Do I Add Philo to My Roku?
Unfortunately, Roku doesn’t natively support VPN, so you will have to use other tricks to get the app on your Roku device, such as configuring a VPN on your router.
Follow these steps to watch Roku on your Philo TV in Canada:
- Install ExpressVPN on your home router and connect to a US-New York server.
- Connect your Roku device to the VPN-enabled router.
- Once done, go to the Roku Home screen and search for Streaming Channels and type Philo.
- Select the Philo app and click Add channel.
- Go to the channel and open the Philo app, sign in and enter your Philo subscription details.
- Once done with the purchase, stream your content on Philo TV in Canada.
How to install Philo on Firestick?
is Philo on firestick? Yes it is. Getting Philo Canada on your Fire Stick requires a few simple steps. All you need is a TV, a good Wi-Fi connection, a Fire Stick device, and a VPN. Here are the steps you need to take:
- First, open ExpressVPN and connect to the New York server.
- Then, connect your Fire Stick to your TV and turn it on. If you haven’t set up your device yet, go through the setup process and make sure your streaming stick is connected to the internet.
- Press the home button on your Fire Stick remote and go to the top left search bar.
- Type Philo and scroll down to see the streaming service app. Then press the “Get” button.
- Philo app installation will start. Click Open when done.
- Sign up and enjoy Philo movies in Canada on your Firestick.
What Channels are included with Philo?
So how many channels do you get with Philo? Philo TV offers more than 60 channels. These channels include some of the well-known cable networks such as Discovery Channel, Nickelodeon, BBC America, Lifetime, AMC, HGTV, VHI, Comedy Central, Bet, MTV, and TV Land.
Below is the Philo channels list that are currently available to watch:
|Food Network||Sundance TV|
|LifeTime Movies||Travel Channel|
|Game Show Network||DIY Network|
|BBC World News||BBC America|
|Nickelodeon||Law & Crime|
What are Philo Premium Channels?
You can enjoy Philo premium channels. However, you will be required to pay more every month as below:
- Epix includes Epix Hits and Epix 2 for an additional CA$ 8.19 (US $6) per month.
- Starz, which includes StarzEncore, and Starz for kids and family, for an additional CA$ 12.28 (US $9) per month.
What are Movies and more on Philo TV?
Philo continues to expand its services. Users can enjoy Movies and More, which is an add-on service. As such, there is an additional cost of CA$ 4.09 (US $3) per month for anyone who wants to enjoy the five channels, namely, HDNET Movies, Sony Movies, Cinemoi, Reelz, and MGM HD.
What is included in Philo TV in 2022?
Philo claims to offer more than 60,000 titles in its on-demand Philo VOD. You can either find your favourite title in search click the “Playable” tab or sort it by Philo channels to get a complete list of shows and their episodes available on-demand. Philo on demand service do have commercials though.
If you sort your streaming choice by the type of content you want to watch on Philo, here is a list of some channels
- Films and TV shows – Lifetime, Hallmark, Sundance TV etc.
- Entertainment – Paramount, BET, Comedy Central, , Game Show Network and many more.
- News – BBC World News, Bloomberg Television, BBC America, etc.
- Music Collection – 4 MTV channels, VH1
- Documentaries – Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, History, Science Channel etc.
- Cartoons and Kids sections – Nickelodeon, Nick toons, Nick Jr.
- Killing Eve
- Ghost Adventures
- Christmas All Over Again
- 7 Little Johnstons
- Halloween Cake-Off
- Abbott Elementary
- The Parkers
- Super 8
- Fixer Upper
How Much Does Philo Subscription Cost?
If you’re considering, Is Philo free? Unfortunately, it isn’t. You will have to pay a basic fee of CA$34.11 (US $25) per month for the Philo TV packages.
However, the good news is you can watch Philo free by getting seven day Philo free trial. Keep in mind that this free trial will automatically renew after the expiry of one week, so you must cancel your Philo subscription if you don’t want to pay for it. You can also add premium channels to your package at an additional philo cost.
FAQs: Philo Canada
How many accounts can you have on Philo?
Can you rent movies with Philo?
Does Philo have movie channels?
How many screens can use Philo?
Does Philo have any sports channels?
Does Philo have a built-in DVR?
Can you record on Philo TV?
Conclusion: Is Philo a Good Choice?
If you’re in Canada or have plans to travel and wondering whether Philo Canada is an option available or not, we can tell you that Philo is a high-quality streaming service. Besides, it’s affordable yet not directly available in Canada.
Thus you will need a VPN to bypass its geo-restrictions. We recommend ExpressVPN, a fast VPN that efficiently unblocks streaming services like Philo TV.
Subscribe to Philo TV in Canada and start watching your content today!