Are you in Canada and want to know how can I watch UK TV in Canada?
Most UK TV streaming services are not available outside the UK. Luckily, premium VPNs like ExpressVPN allow you to bypass geo-restrictions and mask your IP address to watch your favourite UK TV channels in Canada.
UKTV has some fantastic TV shows, and it’s no surprise why there are so many adaptations of some favourite UK shows abroad, including here in Canada. The biggest issue is content geo-restriction. Many UK TV shows, especially the prime ones, including Peaky Blinder, Handmaid’s Tale, Dancing on the Edge, Traces, The Crown etc., are not broadcast worldwide.
Hence, catching up on all the intriguing drama and the nail-biting action that only the best UK shows can offer is accessible through a reliable VPN. So, continue reading our detailed guide on how to watch UK TV in Canada to catch up on the ever-thrilling Season 33 of Top Gear.
How To Watch UK TV in Canada with a VPN? [4-Easy Steps]
With a VPN, using UK TV won’t be different from switching on your TV or streaming device. However, the tricky thing about using VPNs is they’re not the same. The VPN you use can give you an incredible viewing experience or a torrid one.
The following are detailed steps on how to watch UK TV in Canada:
- First, choose a good VPN service (our top choice is ExpressVPN).
- Install the VPN app on your favourite streaming device. For example, if you’re using a PC or a Mac, simply download and install the application.
- Launch your VPN app or software and check the list of servers.
- Choose and connect to UK-based servers. ExpressVPN’s Dockland server is super fast. Then, wait a few seconds for your VPN app or software to connect.
- Once connected, turn on any British TV website, like UK TV Play in Canada and start streaming.
Why is UK TV not available in Canada?
UK TV is a fully-featured television channel and one of the largest in the UK, run by BBC Studios. It was launched in 1992 due to a collaboration between BBC and Thames tv. It has all the genres to meet the needs of UK TV lovers in Canada.
UKTV Play is the first digital-only brand of UK tv, launched in 2014 to stream on-demand and catch-up video from UKTV’s free-to-air channels, i.e., Yesterday, Dave, and Drama.
However, UK TV is unavailable in Canada due to licensing issues of media houses. Therefore, whenever a user in Canada tries to access UK tv, he gets an error message, and the only way to access it is through the best and most reliable VPN.
What are The Top VPNs To Watch UK TV in Canada?
VPNs are God’s gift to Canadians who can’t get enough of UKTV. Still, as we stated earlier, VPNs are not the same, and your experience depends on your chosen VPN service.
The following are the best VPN for UK TV in Canada: Let’s dig into their details as we will tell you why!
1. ExpressVPN– The Best VPN To Watch UK TV in Canada
This is one of the most notable VPNs in Canada. It comes with over 3000 high-speed servers in 94 countries. With fast 4 UK servers, ExpressVPN makes streaming UK TV a joyful experience with 89.38 Mbps speed.
We tested ExpressVPN and recorded an impressive 89.38 Mbps download speed and an upload speed of 84.66 Mbps on a 100Mbps connection. The speed is reliable for watching smithsonian channel and streaming RTE Player without interruption.
It offers solid privacy and security features. High-end 256-bit Encryption, Network lock, Split tunnelling, zero log policy, and many more privacy and security features ensure DNS leak-proof connection.
ExpressVPN connects up to 5 devices simultaneously on a single subscription. It is compatible with all major platforms and offers device apps and browser extensions for Windows, mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, and Firefox. You can easily get Stan in Canada on your preferred device, ensuring a seamless streaming experience.
Moreover, the MediaStreamer DNS proxy feature improves your streaming experience on non-VPN-compatible devices. Hence, you can also get access Hallmark channel and watch Cleo TV within Canada on a set-top streaming box with ExpressVPN.
The subscription to ExpressVPN costs CA$ 8.98/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) - Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan. 30-day money-back guarantee and 24/7 customer support service available to help you out with any issue. Learn more about this VPN in our detailed ExpressVPN review.
2. Surfshark – Affordable VPN To Watch UK TV in Canada
If you’re looking for the best budget VPN in Canada, Surfshark is the best option you should go for you. You get a fast, reliable streaming experience with unlimited concurrent device connections against monthly charges of just CA$ 3.1/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) - 82% off VPN deal on 2 year plan with 2 months free.
There are 3200 servers spread across 100 countries. Primarily in the UK, you’ll find numerous servers in Manchester, London, Denver, Dallas, Seattle, and Boston. The VPN also helps you watch PuhuTV and access Plex TV on your desired devices without a fuss.
We also ran a speed test on the Manchester server. The result showed a fantastic speed of 87.18 Mbps download and 52.13 Mbps upload, which is more than enough for streaming movies on UK TV Plus Canada.
The provider follows a strict no-logs policy and uses AES bit encryption to protect against IP and DNS leaks. In addition, it offers a kill switch and CleanWeb to block ads, malware, and phishing attempts. With these features, you can easily access Get TV and stream DirectTV in Canada.
Easy-to-use and well-designed interface apps are available for Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, FireStick, Linux, Xbox, and many other devices. Despite the low price, Surfshark provides its subscribers with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Free trials are also available for Android and iOS devices.
3. NordVPN – VPN with The Largest Server Network To Watch UK TV in Canada
Another one of the most used VPNs in the world, with a respectable number of super-fast servers. NordVPN has the world’s largest safe and secure VPN server network, with over 5671 servers in 59 countries, including 400+ data centers in the UK, which can assist you in watching UK TV Play in Canada with uninterrupted connections.
This VPN offers download speeds of 84.55 Mbps and upload speeds of 42.15 Mbps on a 100 Mbps connection. With this fantastic speed, you can quickly get Rakuten or enjoy streaming FITE TV in Canada.
It offers six simultaneous connections to share with your family and friends. The apps are for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. You can use this VPN to watch British TV or Grit TV within Canada.
With NordVPN, you can access geo-restricted content from the UK like Channel 5 and other countries around the globe from the comfort of your internet-enabled device at the cost of CA$ 4.43/mo (US$ 3.29/mo) - 2 years with 60% off + Threat Protection for free. It also offers 30 days money-back guarantee and 24/7 user support.
How To Select The Right VPN for UK TV in Canada?
There are many VPNs to choose from, but there are a few features you should look for when looking for a VPN to watch UK TV abroad. The apparent features that a VPN must have are:
- High server capacity
- No speed throttling
- 24-hour support staff
However, the best VPN for accessing British TV channels must include the following:
- Fast speeds to stream content from any part of the world
- Ability to access all top streaming sites, including UK Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and any other channels that allow Canadians to watch UK TV live.
- Thousands of servers across the world, especially the UK servers
- Support for all devices, including different operating systems
- A money-back guarantee
How Does a VPN Help to Unblock UK TV in Canada?
You can’t access British TV shows online outside the UK; it’s impossible. UK TV services block users outside the UK from accessing their content through geo-blocking. Any user who doesn’t have a UK IP address cannot access UK streaming services with geo-blocking enabled.
A VPN solves this problem because it overrides the IP restrictions allowing the user to stream British TV from anywhere. So, for example, when a person in Canada uses a VPN to access any UK streaming service like UK TV or British Channel 4 in CA, he’ll be presented with a British IP address. So, when the UKTV Player checks the device’s location, it’ll see the UK as the location and allow the user full access.
What To Watch on UK TV in November 2022?
Now that you know the best way to watch UK TV in Canada, are there any good streaming sites, TV shows, or movies over there? First, let’s delve into the list of shows on UK TV that you don’t want to miss:
- I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! – 6 November 2022
- For the Love of Kitchens, Season 1 – 7 November 2022
- The Crown, Season 5 – 9 November 2022
- The English – 10 November 2022
- Outsiders, Season 2 – 15 November 2022
- Bangers & Cash, Season 6 – 17 November 2022
- The Last Leg – 18 November 2022
- We Are Not Alone – 20 November 2022
- The Frankie Drake Mysteries, Season 4 – 20 November 2022
- Hustle, Season 1 to 8 – 21 November 2022
- Tokyo Vice – 22 November 2022
- Shed and Buried, Season 4 – 22 November 2022
- Live at the Moth Club – 24 November 2022
- Emma Willis: Delivering Babies, Season 3
This can’t possibly be the only list. This is because there’s so much more to watch on UK TV in Canada.
How To Connect and Watch UK TV Through Streaming Sites
It’s important to note that regardless of your chosen VPN, it won’t come with an account of the channel you want to stream. You must have a separate account for the streaming service (Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub) to watch UK TV in Canada for free.
Setting up an account with any UK TV channel is fast, but you need a UK postal code. Follow the steps to watch UK TV:
- Launch your VPN app and select the UK-Dockland server.
- Next, go to the official website of any UK TV channel. It may include BBC iPlayer, UK TV Play, ITV Hub etc.
- Then, fill out the form with your personal information to register your account.
- Finally, click on the Continue tab to watch your favourite movies on UK TV.
- If you face connection problems via a browser, try clearing the cache and cookies, or you can switch to a different one if the problem persists.
What Devices are Compatible with UK TV in Canada?
UK TV Play is fully compatible with the following devices, and you can watch your favourite UKTV shows without any issues.
How to Watch UK TV on Android?
Follow the steps mentioned below if you’re hunting for does UK TV work in Canada on Android?
- Create a new Google account with the United Kingdom as a current region.
- Open ExpressVPN and connect to the UK-Dockland server from the list.
- Log in to Play Store from the new account.
- Find the UK TV app in the search bar.
- Press Install to download the app.
- That’s it! Enjoy UK TV Plus Canada streaming on Android.
How to Watch UK TV on iOS?
Here’s how to get UK TV Plus in Canada on iOS devices:
- Go to “Settings” on your iOS device and select “iTunes & App store.”
- Select Country/Region> Change country or region>United Kingdom from Apple ID and fill in the required information.
- Once done, go to the App Store, search for the UK TV app and download it.
- Launch the ExpressVPN app and connect to the Dockland server.
- Enjoy watching UK TV shows on your streaming device.
Do You Need a UK TV Streaming License?
According to the TV licensing rules in the UK, “People who no longer live in the UK don’t need to apply for a TV license again before it expires and is entitled to a refund.”
Therefore, it makes sense to believe that you don’t require a TV license to stream UK TV if you live in Canada and have never set foot in the UK.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Watch UK TV in Canada?
There are many VPNs on the internet, paid and free. The most popular ones are paid, and there’s a reason for that. Free VPNs don’t work at all or don’t work that well, and you can’t use them to watch live UK TV.
The free VPNs that work are crowded, and your stream will keep buffering. Also, many UK TV services ban their IP addresses, so you’ll be kicked out as soon as you connect.
Last, there are privacy and security issues. Your data is at risk when using a free VPN; they can sell the information you give to advertisers.
Preferably use a paid VPN service because it offers security and privacy and never logs your data or sells to advertisers. You can also check the low-budget VPN providers in Canada to save money but not compromise your cybersecurity.
FAQs – UKTV in Canada
How can I watch Britbox in Canada?
Britbox Canada is a service available not only in the UK but in the US and Canada. So, you don’t need to use a VPN if you’re currently living in these regions.
Is UKTV Play free to watch in Canada?
Yes, UKTV Play is a free VOD service in the UK and can be watched in Canada free of cost. All you need to do is connect one of our recommended VPNs, and you are all set to stream UK TV in Canada.
Can I watch Now TV outside of the UK?
TV is a geo-restricted channel; you’ll need a VPN to stream it while in Canada. You’ll also need a valid address in the UK to create an account.
Since Britain has a lot of quiz shows, what are some of the good ones?
- Big Fat Quiz of The Year
Why can't you access UK TV in Canada?
You cannot access UK tv in Canada directly because when producers create content, they license their media for broadcast in other regions. Now, other countries are restricted because there’s no money to be made in BBC One Live Streams, ITV, and Channel 4 outside Britain. Thus the only way to watch UK TV in Canada is through a reliable VPN provider.
You cannot access UK TV in Canada if you’re not physically in the UK. As this article has perfectly shown, the only way to do it is to use a VPN to hide your IP address and location and mask it with a UK one.
The streaming service will think you’re in the UK but curled up on your couch at home in Canada.