Vudu is a popular on-demand streaming service that has one of the most extensive HD movie collections in store. But Does Vudu work in Canada? Or Is Vudu available in Canada? Well, No, unfortunately, there is no Vudu Canada for Canadians to enjoy a vast range of movies collections. This privilege is only reserved for the residents of the USA and Mexico due to licensing restrictions. And to watch Vudu in Canada, you need a VPN.
The streaming platform allows its subscribers to rent, buy, and watch 1000’s of HD movies and TV shows on demand. It won’t charge a subscription fee, and all you need to do is to pay rent or buy any specific movie. Since the streaming service is inaccessible in Canada, viewers have to look for another means to access its content.
Wondering what would that be? Well, we have got all your answers! Turns out you only need reliable VPN-providing services to access Vudu in Canada.
How to watch Vudu in Canada using a VPN [Quick Steps]
If you are attempting to watch Vudu Canada without a VPN then it is in vain. A VPN is the ultimate tool to get you Vudu in Canada without any complicated process because connecting a VPN is just as easy as switching channels on your tv.
Note: Vudu doesn’t require any subscription fee on monthly basis but users need to pay rent or buying fees for titles they want to watch. See how can you pay for Vudu titles from Canada. Make sure to choose one of our recommended VPN providers before logging into Vudu Canada.
Why Is Vudu blocked in Canada?
Like many other popular video streaming platforms, there is no Vudu Canada and the US version is Geo-restricted in Canada, and anywhere else. You can only access Vudu directly in the USA and Mexico. Customers do not need to buy a Vudu subscription but Vudu itself has to pay for copyrights in a region.
Thus it has limited its availability to only the USA and Mexico to reduce the paying cost.
To access the channel in Canada, you would need the help of a reliable VPN service to unblock Vudu in Canada and buy your favourite movies because the Vudu app will check the location of the users to allow them access to content.
But how does the VPN work? Well, Vudu requires your IP address to identify your location. You can access and unblock Vudu by connecting to a VPN server in the US, which gets you a US IP address. This would virtually show that you are located in the US, allowing you access to the content only available for US citizens. This way, you will not get Vudu “login failed” error and can enjoy Vudu even if you are sitting in Canada.
Aside from allowing you to unblock various geo-restricted content, a VPN keeps you safe by encrypting internet traffic. This helps prevent Internet Service Providers or governments from monitoring your online activity.
Before selling it to Fandango in 2020, Walmart created Vudu. The service offers a wide range of videos and TV titles that you can rent and stream to select media devices, smart TVs, and home-theatre components with the companion app.
Best VPNs to unblock Vudu in Canada – A Quick Review
Here is a quick summary of our top 5 selected VPNs to unblock and watch Vudu in Canada:
|Top 5 picks|
|Speed test||91 Mbps||79 Mbps||52 Mbps||71
|Price/month||CA$ 9.16/mo (US$ 6.67/mo) - Save 49% and get 3 extra months FREE with 12-month plan||CA$ 4.52/mo (US$ 3.29/mo) - 2 years with 60% off + Threat Protection for free||$2.62||CA$ 3.16/mo (US$ 2.30/mo) - 82% off VPN deal on 2 year plan with 2 months free||$2.25|
How to choose the best VPN for unblocking Vudu Canada?
Today the market is flooded with dozens of VPNs. However, the services they offer differ massively, and you cannot trust that they will all give you the required, reliable security and privacy.
Many of these VPN providers have lapse privacy policies that allow them to pull your data, sell it to third parties, or serve you with unwanted ads. These VPNs are highly concerning, and you must avoid them. Some other VPNs have terrible apps with overreaching permissions that make them suspicious or even dangerous.
Here are some essential quick features you must not overlook while deciding which VPN is the best to unblock Vudu.
- The logging policy – A strict No logs policy ensures your personal information stays private.
- Speeds – A fast VPN is an essential requirement for data-intensive tasks like streaming or video calling.
- Security features – Robust encryption, DNS leak protection & Kill switches to keep you anonymous.
- Server Areas – Authentic and reliable quality servers at prime locations are essential for unblocking geographically restricted streaming services.
- User friendly – Your VPN app needs to be slick, user-friendly, fast, and well-built.
- Money-back guarantee – A reasonable time for money back allows you to test the service before fully committing.
- Simultaneous connections – This feature would allow you to share and protect all your Vudu devices.
Best VPNs to get Vudu in Canada – Full Analysis
Let’s take a look and see which VPN will be the best option for you to stream Vudu in Canada.
1. ExpressVPN —The fastest VPN for Vudu Canada
ExpressVPN has over 3000+ servers fast speed servers worldwide, delivering 89.38 Mbps downloading speed. Below are the key features of ExpressVPN.
- Connects up to 5 simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Cost: CA$ 9.16/mo (US$ 6.67/mo)
- Superfast speeds to watch Vudu without interruptions
- 3,000 servers worldwide to overcome geo-blocks
- Have relevant American servers to unblock Netflix and other US-based streaming services.
- Use MediaStreamer and watch Vudu on any Wi-Fi-compatible device
- It works with Vudu, Disney+ Hotstar in Canada, HBO Max Netflix USA, BBC iPlayer, Hulu in Canada, ABC, Channel 7 within Canada and more.
- Recommended Servers for unblocking Vudu Canada: Washington DC, New York 1, Chicago, Miami, New Jersey 2 and New Jersey 2.
In our speed test, ExpressVPN delivered 89.38 Mbps downloading speed and 84.66 Mbps uploading speed on a 100 Mbps connection.
Read our analysis on ExpressVPN to get more details on its features regarding servers, speed, security, and pricing.
2. Surfshark —Affordable VPN provider
Surfshark comes to attention as it has no limits on simultaneous device connections. You can try to connect up to 8 or even 12 different devices to the same server while watching Hotstar, and Surfshark guarantees no lag or interruptions.
- Impressive speeds to watch Vudu smoothly
- Cost: CA$ 3.16/mo (US$ 2.30/mo)
- 3,200 servers around the world to bypass geo-blocks
- Unlimited simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Works perfectly with Vudu, TNT cable tv in Canada, TF1 tv in Canada, Crave tv Canada, Sling tv service in Canada, Showtime, and more.
- Recommended Servers for unblocking Vudu Canada: Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, San Fransisco, Latham, Louisville and Boston.
In our speed, Surfshark delivered 85.49 Mbps downloading speed and 44.42 Mbps uploading speed on a 100 Mbps connection.
Read our comprehensive perspective on Surfshark VPN for Canadian users in particular.
3. NordVPN — Secure VPN for Vudu in Canada
Amongst the top recommendations to access Vudu in Canada is NordVPN. The extensive network of servers unblocks Vudu without any issues. Some of its quick features are:
- Supports up to 6 simultaneous devices.
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Cost: CA$ 4.52/mo (US$ 3.29/mo)
- Over 2,500 servers worldwide.
- Superfast speeds to watch Vudu in HD.
- SmartPlay feature to get around the toughest geo-blocks.
- It Works with Vudu, Australian channel Optus Sport, South African DStv, Italian Rai tv channel, Foxtel Go in Canada, and more.
- Recommended Servers for unblocking Vudu Canada: Chicago, Dallas, Newyork, Miami, and San Francisco.
In our speed test, NordVPN delivered 86.48 Mbps of downloading speed and 52.42 Mbps of downloading speed on a 100 Mbps connection.
For more details about NordVPN, go through the NordVPN review for Canada.
4. IPVanish– A large number of US servers
IPVanish is based in the US, with hundreds of servers across the US. This includes servers in Houston, Miami, Los Angeles, New York, and Seattle. This helps to unblock Vudu even if you’re traveling in Canada.
- Smooth speeds to watch movies
- 100’s of US servers to bypass geo-blocks
- Allows up to ten simultaneous device connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- live chat support is available 24/7
- essentials include DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and 256-bit AES encryption.
- Unblocks Vudu, Hulu, HBO Go, Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc.
5. CyberGhost — Safe & Secure
CyberGhost is one of the pocket-friendly VPNs available, offering streaming that’s free of lag and buffering. One of the most important advantages of using CyberGhost is the high level of security it provides.
- Provides faster speeds to stream Vudu online
- 1,000 servers in the USA allowing you to watch Vudu in Canada
- This VPN operates a strict no-logs policy
- Provides up to ten simultaneous device connections
- CyberGhost offers “NoSpy” servers that are independently used for even more fantastic online security
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 live chat support is available
- DNS leak protection, automatic kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, and IPv6 leak protection.
- Easily accessed Vudu, Hulu, HBO Go, Netflix, Youtube tv, and more
Learn more about CyberGhost VPN and its specifications in our review guide for CyberGhost VPN Canada.
Can I watch Vudu in Canada with a Free VPN?
Yes, you can stream your movies on Vudu with a free VPN as well. The VPN caters to the increasing Internet privacy issues and personal data breaches. It is obvious why more and more people are looking for a way to protect their online privacy and security. And if it comes for free, even better!
But! Almost every free VPN comes with a big catch. These VPNs cannot offer a completely free service that compares to that of their paid-for competitors. Mostly, so-called “free VPNs” will limit your bandwidth, which will result in slow connection speeds. They will offer a minimal number of available server locations and will turn your evening streaming sessions into a frustrating nightmare.
Users even report free VPN services of stealing their personal information and selling it to third parties. Even without these shady practices, because utterly free VPN services have outdated infrastructure in place, they could endanger your privacy, thereby completely missing the whole point of using a VPN in the first place.
Only premium VPN services are reliable and secure options to go for the Vudu VPN.
Devices that would support your Vudu
Vudu can be accessed on the following devices.
- Your Smart TV: LG, Samsung, Sony, and Vizio, Fire TV Stick.
- Media Streamers: Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, and Nvidia Shield TV
- Gaming Consoles: Xbox 360 and later; PlayStation 3 and later.
- Mobile App: Vudu App for Android and iOS. You can download its app from Google play store/Apple Store.
- PC Web Browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and more.
How to Download the Vudu app on your devices
You can install the Vudu app in Canada on your Android and iOS devices as follow;
Download Vudu app on Android device
Download Vudu app on iOS device
Download Vudu app on Fire tv Stick
First, connect to US-based VPN server and then follow these steps;
How do I activate Vudu on Smart TV?
Follow these steps to activate Vudu on your Smart TV:
What’s on Vudu?
Hit the Vudu website, and you would see multiple categories to find your best match. Starting from popular shows to the most viewed content worldwide. It has all the content sorted according to specific genres like Action movies, Comedy serials, Dramas, Sci-fi, Mystery shows, Fantasy shows, Crime, Adventure, and the list goes on and on.
Here are some of our top picks for streaming Vudu:
Famous TV shows on Vudu
- Lifers: Behind the bars
- Salem Witch Trials
- Hell’s Kitchen
- True CSI
- Body cam Cops
- Rick and Morty
- Dark Winds
- City on a Hill
- The End of the World
Famous Movies on Vudu
- Top Gun: Maverick
- Top Gun 2
- Jurrasic World: Dominion
- After Ever Happy
- The Resort
- Spider-Man: No Way Home
Latest and Upcoming Movies on Vudu in August 2022
Here we have compiled a list of recently added titles on Vudu:
- Cave After Ever Happy (Sep 7)
- Beast (Sep 8)
- Thor 4 Movie collection Bundle (Sep 8)
How to Pay for Vudu when living in Canada
Vudu is free but users pay for only titles they want to rent or purchase. There are many free Vudu movies available as well for users. To pay for Vudu from Canada or elsewhere outside the USA, you have to make sure your VPN is up and running. This would mask your location, and it would seem as if you are accessing Vudu and paying for it from the US or Mexico using a US PayPal account.
Vudu does not require a monthly subscription fee. Instead, you pay for each of the movies or TV shows that you rent or buy.
Vudu rental pricing ranges from $0.99 to $5.99 (CAD 1.25-7.55), and purchase prices generally range from $4.99 to $24.99 (CAD 6.29-31.49). Vudu also offers particular rental and purchase pricing frequently on their website.
How do Vudu credits work?
Vudu also offers credits to its customers. Vudu Credits on a variety of products in Walmart. Everything from a fancy dress to pizza. The majority of VUDU Credits can be found on current Blu-rays and DVDs for sale in the electronics department. They will range in value but will almost always be either CAD 2, CAD5, or CAD10, with CAD5 being the most common.
Typically they are valid for a year or longer once redeemed in your account. They can be used to purchase anything on VUDU that you’d buy with your credit/debit card. But the Redemption codes and promotional offers are valid in the US only, and well, Terms and conditions apply.
Owing to Walmart’s ownership of Vudu, the big-box store has a program called Vudu Instawatch. When a user buys a movie or TV show at Walmart, you get instant access to a free digital copy that you can access on Vudu and view on your smart devices.
If a user buys the Blu-ray or DVD at a physical Walmart store, he may use a smartphone to scan the receipt and proceed with any further directives. If a user buys a movie online through the Walmart website, he should check email for a message that provides access to the digital copy.
Vudu Digital Movie Cards
If you’re shopping at a Walmart store location, you can purchase a Vudu Digital Movie Card that you can use for watching Vudu streaming content.
Disc to Digital
Another service that Vudu offers is Disc-to-Digital, which provides viewers that own older, standard-definition movies on DVD the opportunity to access an HDX (1080p), near Blu-ray Disc quality, a digital version for a minimal fee.
Viewers can then access the high-quality digital copy at any time on compatible mobile or home streaming devices.
How is Vudu a better option than other streaming services
- Free Account: Vudu account is free and it doesn’t require any subscription fee or financial details to register an account, unlike many other streaming services. You can register for a Vudu free trial and watch many titles without any fee.
- A large collection of Free Content: Unlike other streaming services, Vudu offers a massive library of free movies and shows to its users.
- Lifetime Titles: You can buy digital rights to a show or movie for a lifetime on Vudu and it will never disappear from your Vudu account, unlike many streaming services where titles disappear after some time and if you want to cancel your Vudu subscription you can cancel it anytime.
FAQs: Vudu Canada
How is Vudu different from Netflix?
Vudu offers to stream for new movies as soon as they are released on DVD, but Netflix streaming is limited to older films. In contrast, Netflix provides unlimited streaming for movies and shows from their vast database for a monthly subscription fee.
How do I watch Vudu without the app?
You can watch Vudu by simply accessing the Vudu website on your browser.
Why is Vudu better than other movie apps?
What happens when you buy a movie on Vudu?
The movie will begin downloading. If a user wishes to watch the film, he may start watching the movie immediately by selecting “Watch” from the movie details page. The downloading of movies is suspended while a user is watching videos.
How to download Vudu movies?
The download option is only available for movies that a user owns. Once you purchase the film, several options pop up, select “Download and Watch Later.” The movie will begin downloading.
Is Vudu the same as Blu-ray?
Vudu uses streaming, so it uses around 5–7 GB for a 1080p movie and probably about 10–13 GB of data for a 4k movie. A 1080p blu-ray can hold up to 100GB, a 2-hour movie is typically 40 GB or so, and 4k Blu-ray can hold up to 100GB, with movies often in the 50–70 GB range.
When you buy a Movie on Vudu, where is it stored?
Vudu purchases stay on their servers and can be played on any device that has access to an internet connection and Vudu.
A user can also download Vudu movies to devices for offline viewing. You can then delete them and re-download them again at no cost. You own the digital rights to the movie.
Can I use Walmart gift cards on Vudu?
Yes, Walmart gift cards can be used on any title directory within Vudu.
If Vudu shutdown, would I lose the movies I purchased?
Vudu is part of the new movies anywhere alliance, so your movies will be safe even if Vudu shut down.
Is Vudu available in Canada?
Can I get Vudu in Canada?
Can I get Vudu on my Smart TV?
Is Vudu legal in Canada?
You can stream through Vudu any time on your laptop, TV, or mobile devices without establishing a Vudu login, but to access any free or paid content, you need to create a Vudu login.
Signing up is free and you only pay when you want to watch a movie or TV show that requires a rental or purchase fee.
However there is no Vudu Canada available yet but with a VPN on hand, you can spoof your location and access Vudu in Canada easily and safely. VPN is the only effective tool for unblocking Vudu Canada and enjoying your favourite movies for free.